Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default d-i-y Nas. Hard drive makes?

On 18 Aug 2019 08:41:06 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

On Sun, 18 Aug 2019 00:44:41 +0100, T i m wrote:

Why? Ok, I can see if you needed something available 24/7 RAID1
(presumably) might give you that but what if the system hardware fails?

I use HP microservers a lot.

A couple of friends have them Bob (and I think I remember they could
be good VFM when bought with some form of cashback?) but I was
concerned of how specific the hardware was over building my own for
'std' PC parts.

The main NAS is one of those.

What OS is running on it?

If the
hardware fails, I swap it for a spare.

That was my thought re using std PC components (mobos and PSUs
specifically), you just swap out the bad 'bit'.

If a disk fails (happened once in
9 years)

And that's the thing. Whilst I know daughter would be pi$$ed off if
she couldn't access her data because the only disk had failed, I'm not
sure what the odds are on the hardware itself failing (removing access
to both mirrored drives) over the drive (if only a single drive etc)
failing?

then it's RAID-1 so it's easy to replace the faulty disk (cold
swap, but very fast) and rebuild the array.

I'm not sure it's *always* easy though is it Rob? I have read many
tales of the rebuild process screwing up and taking all your data with
it, hence you are *still* reliant on a backup?

Also, what are you doing for the backups of the NAS itself?

Three overlapping backup strategies, two of which are off-site.

Excellent. ;-)

BTW, they are all Western Digital Red now. The one that failed wasn't -
it was a Seagate.

OOI, were the drives that would typically be failing now have been
specific 'NAS / Server' drives or just 'drives' (FWIW etc)?

Like, the drives that came in the TeraStation I was given were 'just'
Seagate Barracudas and I think they were 'just' general purpose hard
drives?

I did have one other WD failure - at 37 hours, while I was setting up a
new system. Replaced very quickly by WD.

I had one (of a friends) go within a couple of hours ... which didn't
help my learning of 'how to set up a Synology NAS' very much. ;-(

The replacement went in and made much more sense of the whole setup
procedure. ;-)

Whilst I can't say I favoured Synology's OS over OMV, I might give
Xpenology a look in case it does things we need 'better'?

https://xpenology.org/

Cheers, T i m