Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default how do I replace rotted bottom plate on my shed

On Saturday, August 17, 2019 at 10:24:25 PM UTC-4, TimR wrote:
I got my shed reroofed this summer. The roofer replaced some rotted sheathing on the roof and side. I don't do roofs, at my age my balance isn't reliable.

Now I see the bottom plate is rotted on a couple of sides. We had the rainiest fall in history, and I had a roof leak in that area.

What is the method to replace that? Or is there a work around? It looks like to replace it I'd have to jack the top plate, cut studs, and insert a new bottom? Or is there a better way? This is one I've never worked on.

If it's just rotted in some spots, but still sound overall, you can dig out
the rotted wood, let it dry out good, and fill it with body filler.
I prefer that over wood filler for that application. It will harden in
a few hours, regardless of how deep it is. Also, time your sanding so
you do it when it's hard enough to sand, but not fully hardened, it will
go quicker. That's what I did three years ago with a rotted door sill
here, it's still going fine. Cover it with a good primer and paint.