Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default d-i-y Nas. Hard drive makes?

On Sat, 17 Aug 2019 20:06:23 +0100, Brian Reay wrote:

snip

'Putting together'?

Yes: https://www.collinsdictionary.com/di...h/put-together

I've used a couple of methods to provide a NAS and Timecapsule (for Mac)
services (R Pi, PC based..), tried Western Digital units, and now
Synology. The latter is by far the best.

Because?

For home use, I went for dual disks in a RAID config.

Why? Ok, I can see if you needed something available 24/7 RAID1
(presumably) might give you that but what if the system hardware
fails? Also, what are you doing for the backups of the NAS itself?

If I want I can
access it from anywhere but I've not enabled this feature.

That was something that daughter might need and felt might be easier
to sort if some commercial solution came with the DDNS function via a
'My Cloud' sorta solution.

I've also got a single drive system I use in the motorhome. It also has
most of the clever facilities although I don't need to use them.

I installed and configured a Synology DS218j for a friend and once we
had sorted the DOA WD 4TB Red drive ... it sorta went Ok but the UI
was a bit confusing and non intuitive. And this was with someone who
knew what he wanted and what to expect etc?

User/admin interface to set up etc is straight forward. There are a
range of apps they can run, including Plex on the dual system (it has a
faster uP), even Apache so you could host a website from it, although
I've not tried this.

Understood. I have scrolled though the list of plugins (or whatever
Synology call them) and some of them looked quite interesting.

My main once would be whatever instigated a complete 'bare metal'
level backup of a Windows client PC on a daily basis but not sure
there is such a thing?

Based on suggestions offered by others here previously, I'm probably
going to order a Synology DS119j and duplicate the entire box across
the LAN to something (OMV probably) running on a Shuttle or RPi.
'Duplexing' (SFT III?) across two devices should give even better
availability and resilience than RAID1 in a single box? It also might
be the only way I could ensure daughter actually backs up her NAS. ;-)

Cheers, T i m