Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default d-i-y Nas. Hard drive makes?

On Sat, 17 Aug 2019 15:17:17 +0100, Andy Burns
wrote:

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

I have 2x 4TB spinners in RAID1 for my samba box, I think I'd be
loathe to burn a grand to have them be SSD.

+1.
SSD simply doesnt make sense for my server at current prices.

I rarely reboot it, so speed of boot is not an isue and over the netowrk
that is the limiting factor on file performsancem, not the disk speed

Mine does have a 64GB SSD for the O/S, but only because I had a couple
knocking around.

An issue / limitation with the OMV NAS software is that it (OOTB
anyway?) uses all of the boot drive for the OS, even though it only
actually uses ~8GB of it? ;-(

I was looking for old 32GB drives or possibly the M.2 format, assuming
they could be had cheaper than a unbranded 60/4GB and could be adapted
to plug into a std HDD SATA connector ... just because.

Ironically the Shuttles have a handy SD card slot built in but whilst
you could run OMV from the SD card, I don't believe it's recommended
you do (even with the USB plugin thing) due to the number or writes
wearing an SD card out in no time at all (something to do with the
lack of wear leveling)?

Cheers, T i m