Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default New Bandsaw - (NEW new)

On 2019-08-16, Bob La Londe wrote:
On 8/14/2019 3:09 PM, Bob La Londe wrote: I got suckered in by some
SPAM from Grizzly and ordered a G0621X
variable speed vertical wood/metal bandsaw. Of course it seems to only
come with a wood blade, and I will probably only ever use it for metal
cutting. (I already have a decent Rigid mid/small woodcutting upright
bandsaw.)

[ ... ]

I'm getting ready to order a metal cutting blade for it. I like

the way
the M42 blades hold up on my 7x10 bandsaw so I figured I'd just get
those for the upright. The saw spec says blade width from 1/8 to 1
inch, but I doubt I'll be doing any scroll cutting with it. I'm kinda
looking for the most useful pitch and width so to speak. Is there

a big
difference between a 3/4 inch wide blade and a 1 inch wide blade. I
suspect I'll be doing 99.9% straight cutting stuff that isn't practical
to fit in the horizontal. Cost difference is only about $10-15 dollars
depending on the source, but still $10 is a premium six pack of beer or
a couple shots of top grade Canadian rye for after work.

[ ... ]

Well, I had hoped to reach a compromise blade to leave on "most" of the
time, but I broke down and bought two blades for the new saw. A 5/8 and
a 10/14. I looked at buying some coil stock, but I just don't want
carbon steel blades. I cut just enough medium hard steel to make them
pretty useless for me. The coils of decent quality bimetal were just a
little more than I wanted to spend right now after spending all my
pocket money on the saw.

Isn't the blade welder capable of bi-metal blades? Yes, you
need more current for bi-metal, but ... I use mine on bi-metal blades,
even though it is not specified for them I use the 5/8" setting for 1/2"
bi-metal blades -- which are the largest that my 4x6 horizontal/vertical
bandsaw can handle anyway. If your welder specifies 1" blades within
its range, use that setting for 3/4" or 5/8".

Good Luck,
DoN.

I have to weld blades manually, and then anneal with a torch. I don't
think the new saw comes with a blade welder. Eventually I'll pick one
up though. I've silver brazed, but have had mixed luck. Some seem to
hold, and some don't. A little blade holding jig I made some time back
helped a lot. I wasn't concerned with being able to weld them though. I
was concerned with having only lunch money in my pocket when I looked at
bimetal coil stock pricing. LOL. Its not out. Its just out for a
little while after spending all my play money on the saw. Also maybe
having 250' of coil stock of a TPI that might turn out to not be ideal
for my use.