Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default I used to buy tires from TireRack - now SimpleTire (how can theydo it?)

On Friday, August 16, 2019 at 11:14:06 AM UTC-4, Captain Obvious-er wrote:
replying to Jonas Schneider, Captain Obvious-er wrote:
Wow.... you bought a no-name chinese tire at a lower price than a quality
name brand tire. So what's the point you're trying to make?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...n-1127932-.htm

This is an old thread, but I can't help but point out how the person who
started this thread sure sounds like a certain poster that shows up here
once in a while. Besides all the complex analysis while overlooking the
obvious, he mounts his tires at home. That's a clue.....

And notably absent in that first post is what the two brands of tires
were. Like you say, it could be a well known, respected tire versus
a Chinese no name. Still, having said that, from what I've seen on
the internet, lots of people that never have bought a Chinese tire,
slam them as junk, while people who actually have them all seem to say
they are fine, better than they expected, etc.

I'll find out. I recently bought cheap Chinese tires from Walmart.
I was almost forced into it. I needed tires for my old classic Mercedes
that uses 14" wheels. Very few choices today in a tire that size with
the load and speed rating, etc. But I found Lionheart, which is Chinese
and they were only $38, which sure surprised me. One thing I can say,
the existing tires were BF Goodrich Traction T/A, bought from a local
dealer. The wheels had lots of weights on them to balance them. One
had about two dozen .25 ounce weights. With the new Chinese tires,
only a couple of weights. So, apparently these tires are more even,
better balanced than the former tires. Also, people who say tires from
China or Indonesia, or wherever can't be good, many of the major brands
are making their tires in those or similar countries today. They could
still be better than other tires, because they are better designed and
manufactured, but I also think it's a mistake to just dismiss Chinese
tires as no good. So far these tires are perfectly fine. How long they
last, we'll see. I recently replaced tires on the BMW, those were
Michelins and they went 100K miles, which sure surprised me. So there,
extra cost upfront paid off.