Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Commodore 1702 Monitor, Intermittent Display Issue

On Friday, August 16, 2019 at 8:32:53 AM UTC-4, Tim Schwartz wrote:
Just goes to show you, it is not necessary to replace every electrolytic
capacitor that is over 6 weeks old. I've often found that caps I'm
removing when a customer insists on replacing them all are just as good
or better than the new ones. Depends on brand, and the heat in the product.

Regards,
Tim

Always that is possible. But as-reported, the symptoms were indicative of age. And in a design as (relatively) bullet-proof and simple as the 1702, that would lead, typically, to age and/or dirt. And, if one is 'in there' the cost of a few capacitors now, vs. another tear-down later is negligible.

I restore a lot of vintage solid-state Dynaco products, mostly for fun as they are so basic. To do any level of restoration mostly requires a complete tear-down. So, if part X is bad on channel A, I will do the same part on Channel B as well. There are about US$18 worth of critical parts to be replaced in the typical ST-120, and "doing all" vs. doing only "the one" is about an hour in additional time. I am not paying the bills with my hobby - I am happy that it is self-sustaining at this point. But you get the point, I hope.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA