Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew[_22_] Andrew[_22_] is offline

Default Timber frame refurb

On 15/08/2019 22:02, DJC wrote:
On 14/08/2019 23:14, Ben wrote:
Hi all first post 👍🏻 Be nice!

Bought our house 4 years ago, its liveable but theres lots I want to
do,
but with 2 kids 2 & 4 its hard to find the time.

Ripped out the bathroom around 2 years ago, really happy with how that
turned
out!
Next project is where I need some advice, Im starting on the living
room in
4 weeks, currently 6.0m long 3.6m wide.

The plan is create a living room approx 3.6 x 3.6, a study approx 2.4
x 2.4
the rest of the space will be a mid landing.

I started ripping plasterboard off to get a head start on the stud
walls, the
2 external walls were fine no issues, 1 external wall was fine, my
first issue
and questions are around the second internal wall which connects to our
neighbour, there are 2 boards deep, im assuming fireboard and
plasterboard.

This sounds like a party wall in a modern timber-frame house, in which
case you probably should not be tampering with it at all.

+1

At the very least, talk to your neighbour and let him know what
you are doing, but you should have given them notice of the works
well in advance. The Party Wall Act is well defined. Plenty of
books on the subject in every reference library.

If you have interfered with the sound and/or fire resistance of
the party wall then you need to have a party wall agreement with
the people on the other side. If you don't, they would be able to
sue you and you would have to pay all their costs, plus any
damages.