MS

Default How much to install 3 joists?

On 24 Mar 2004 19:15:07 GMT, (Chris Lewis)
wrote:

Plus days of planning following months of procrastination ;-)

Thanks for your comments, everyone! The above is one of the most
important considerations!

Aside from that, someone asked if I am adding lally columns under the
new joists. The answer is - no. Access into the building with
materials is easy. Fitting the joist in, might be more difficult -
I've never done it, so I don't know - because I suspect that squeezing
the joist in between the subfloor and where the joist rests on the
beam and the foundation might require some persuasion. It looks like a
tight fit and I'd prefer that someone with experience do it. Just
trying to be prepared for when the contractors show up to give me a
bid...

According to MS :
I am looking for a rough estimate on how much I should expect to pay a
contractor to install 3 LVL joists (1 3/4" x 7 1/4" x 12') to beef up
existing structure.

I think you can probably figure this out yourself. How long do you
_think_ it should take, double it, take your local carpenter hourly rate
(times however many people it should take), and multiply it together. Then
add the cost of the LVLs and whatever else you think they'd need.

The trick is, how are they going to get the joists _in_? Do they have to
cut holes in the exterior frame of the house? Fuss around with the supports?
Do they have to rebuild anything you've already taken apart? Do they have
to remove the floor covering above in order to fasten the subfloor to the
joists?

--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est