Posted to uk.d-i-y
Allan Allan is offline

Default Domestic house wiring & appliance check

Following on from the university PAT check thread, something that has
crossed my mind recently is whether it's worth getting (domestic) house
electrical wiring and appliances check.

Moved into house 20 years ago, and never really checked for anything
unless/until there's a problem. Wonder if it's worth checking as
pre-emptive move, like a mouse beginning to chew into a hidden cable or
water ingress that hasn't manifested itself (yet). Or how that sort of
thing would show up. Or what such a test would show anyway. Or what I
can do myself e.g. with one of the "socket testers" that is available on
the market (and would I understand the implications anyway as a lay person).

What would be worth checking: wiring? sockets? appliances? consumer unit?

House is 40 years old, I moved in 20 years ago and had some wiring done,
and got a new consumer unit in the garage.

We do electrical checking at our place of work etc (on a comulsory
basis), but should we do it at home (on a voluntary basis).

I had a new electric shower put in last year and the electrician checked
the consumer unit and picked up that one of the breakers needed
replacing, but nothing much else was checked. And I've had another
individual breaker on the consumer unit need replacing a couple of years
ago.

Any thoughts welcome.

TIA