Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Travis Perkins timber

On 14/08/2019 10:20, Andy Burns wrote:
T i m wrote:

But are there as many people carrying stuff on roof bars / racks these
days?

My last car hadÂ* roof rails and I added thule bars, it was useful for
long timbers and with a home-made roof-rack useful for 8x4 sheets of
osb, plasterboard, present car has no rails so now looking for a trailer
instead.

I have both. Although the trailer is only 5'x3', I can can carry 8'x4'
sheets on it with a small overhang at the front and a larger one at the
back. I have had a 5.2m joist (for my conservatory) on the roof bars and
5m lengths of aluminium (1 tube, 2 bar for building a hi-fi stand). I
have also transported 12'3" lengths of galvanised, box-section, roof
sheet, supported by the two halves of an extension ladder on the roof bars.

My father once took an extension ladder to France (to work on their
holiday home) - the sections slung side by sides *under* the roof bars
.... to keep under the height limit and avoid having to pay extra.

SteveW