Posted to uk.d-i-y
David David is offline

Default Travis Perkins timber

On Tue, 13 Aug 2019 23:39:25 +0100, Theo wrote:

Went to Wickes to buy some wood, came home with a banana.

This happens every time, and is getting rather tedious. It would be
nice to have somewhere that sells vaguely straight wood for a change.

I seem Travis Perkins have finally put non-account prices on their
website, and also indicating which branches have a timber cutting
service (so I don't have to try to fit 3.6m lengths in the car). But is
their wood any good? Does TP Group somehow send all their awful wood to
Wickes?

We also have Ridgeons locally, who have also recently started admitting
prices on the web, but it's unclear what their policy on cutting is (and
they don't list the base lengths).

(hello Jewson, it would be nice if you could join the pricing party too)

Thanks Theo

Sadly, it depends a lot on the individual branch.

Ridgeons used to be good for timber, but not so much now locally.

I used TP a lot because I had a trade account and a twin wheeled trailer
with an 8' by 4' bed and a ladder rack so I could go and sort through the
racks of timber and pick half way decent lengths and then take them away
in the trailer.

If you rely on delivery then you take your chances.

Sadly, the trailer has been sold on.
Happily I don't need much timber these days.

I still miss that trailer {sniff}.

B&Q and Homebase used to be awful for timber.
**** as a very **** **** thing.

For good timber go out into the countryside to a real timber yard.
Costs a bit, though.

Cheers

Dave R

---