Dave

Default Potterton Suprima (50) problems.

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message on.co.uk...
On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 15:05:07 +0000, geoff wrote:

In message , Dave
writes
It started with periodic lockouts which now happen daily. It didn't
always ignite after resetting so started to do it at the spur. Even
then it sometimes took a while to reset. This was accompanied by very
very hot water, way though the cylinder stat was set at 50 degrees.
The boiler did not respond to adjustments to the room thermostat also.

I have replaced PCB (with a new one!), air pressure switch, 3-port
motorised valve, room and cylinder stats.

I now have daily lockouts, the water is still piping hot and the
boiler now has a mind of its own. It comes on when the timer controls
indicate it shouldn't and goes off when it feels like it.

I was wondering if the behaviour of my boiler was/is consistent with a
dodgy temperature sensor and/or overheat stat?

Am I also right in thinking that if the DHW or CH are meant to be 'On'
through the timer than I should have a green light (either flashing or
permanent)on the boiler.

It must be all that e-m radiation around there

You probably have a defective temperature sensor or a defective new pcb.

A flashing red LED in lockout generally indicates a board fault, a
constant red LED, an external to board fault.

There is a table in the installation manual which explains what the
indicators represent

OFF the top of my head, steady green is demand+flame on, flashing green is
demand+noflame.

Nice to know that one of the controls managed to cut the gas eventually ?!?

Thanks for the replies Geoff/Ed

I know this bolier has a reputation for dodgy PCB's but before the new
one got fitted, a reconditioned one had been fitted a few days earlier
and neither fixed the problem. I'm hopeful that the new temperature
sensor will do the business. I'm under contract so they will be
coming round next week to sort it out. I'm just trying, with your
sound advice, to get a better understanding
of how things are meant to work.

I've looked at the User Guide with regard to the LED indicators and a
permanent red light without any green is classed as 'Mains ON Only.'
I have noticed this condition when either of the timer controls is set
to 'ON,' which I believe shouldn't be the case. However, that seems
consistent with the boiler coming on, and staying on, when the timer
is set to off! Last night I had to switch it off at the spur when
room temperature reached 29 degrees!

Thanks again.

Dave