Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default Stud finders?

On 12/08/2019 15:44, John Rumm wrote:
On 12/08/2019 15:00, T i m wrote:
Can anyone recommend a good (as in reliable / predictable) / VFM stud
finder please, generally just for looking for wood (or metal I guess)
studs behind plasterboard, although if it did more and that didn't
distract from my primary need / it's ability ... or make it much more
expensive that could be ok.

I ask because there are loads out there and vary in price enormously.

Cheers, T i m

p.s. I have a couple that have worked ok but of course can't find
right now and daughter was happy to get one for herself and sooner
rather than later etc.

Have a look at the Zircon ones, they usually work well. Having said that
a strong magnet salvaged from an old hard drive will usually find the
nails fixing the board to the stud quite well.

+1 for magnets. Cheap enough on eBay if you don't have a hard drive to hand.