Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Hayter[_2_] Roger Hayter[_2_] is offline

Default Looking for an adaptor

dennis@home wrote:

On 11/08/2019 23:30, wrote:
On Sunday, 11 August 2019 23:18:45 UTC+1, tabby wrote:
On Sunday, 11 August 2019 22:40:12 UTC+1, Tricky Dicky wrote:

I think you might be out of luck there with the extensive use of
hand tightening chucks on modern drills and the conversion of
many of the bits formally used with a brace to fit three jaw
chucks I cannot see anyone bothering to make a replacement chuck
to fit drill bits that are now getting harder to find. I must
admit I find augers used in power drills very easy to overdrill
the depth owing to the screw guide feeding the drill in rather
than the pressure applied by the user. If you have a number of
brace bits that you want to use then cutting off the taper end
off them might be your only solution.

Richard

That's what I did before. Would be nicer to keep these as is. Maybe
I could contemplate moulding something in plastic, probably be
strong enough for small bits.

NT

It's easy to find adapters the other way round, but not to enable an
old bit to be used in a modern hex drill.

NT

cut one of these up

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Silverlin...dp/B001JJR54K/

If you have one of those it would be better to just use it as intended -
those drills often aren't really usable at power drill speeds, even the
lowest.

--

Roger Hayter