Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Garden shredders

On 12/08/2019 07:28, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Sun, 11 Aug 2019 21:03:12 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

On 11/08/2019 20:32, Michael Chare wrote:
On 11/08/2019 19:44, Brian Gaff wrote:
What sort of wood, presumably not oak or Mahogany!
Â* Brian

I suppose it would be mostly bush trimmings. At the moment we chop the
stuff into maybe 6" lengths to go in a plastic tub. We then take several
tubs to the tip a few times a year. I was wondering if a shredder would
chop the stuff up into smaller piece so we could get more into the tubs,
or have a proper compost heap.Â* The council takes 1 wheelie bin every
two weeks which is usually full of grass.

A chipper will normally chop into ~1cm long segments. A shredder might
go finer, depending the type.

The Bosch shredders do much the same, about 1-2cm. Yes, shredding will
allow the OP to get much more into his tub, but then there's the risk
of the tub being too heavy to lift! Shredding also speeds composting,
but it still takes many months to break down woody shreddings. Adding
nitrogenous fertiliser helps. Some people use their own pee. I used to
put woody shreddings straight onto the garden as a mulch. I never
shred soft green weedy stuff. I don't see the point. It went straight
onto the compost heap, but as I haven't yet made room for one here,
into the garden waste recycle bin.

The problem I have with compost, is what to do with it! Given my
gardening interest goes about as far as cutting, pruning etc, I never
really find a use for compost, but now after more than ten years of
cutting grass, and managing trees etc, find myself with many cubic
metres of the stuff.

--
Cheers,

John.