Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Windpower

On 11/08/2019 13:17, Fredxx wrote:
On 11/08/2019 13:09, Fredxx wrote:
On 11/08/2019 12:43, Roger Hayter wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Â*Â*Â* The Natural Philosopher wrote:
But the nuclear lot want to put all our eggs in the one basket...

I don't think anyone has ever suggested on large nuclear power
station to
serve the entire country

I am perpetually amazed at the extraordinary statements made by
lefty****s, ecotards and remoaners. I mean they are nonsense even to
someone with subnormal learning skills.

And I'm even more amazed by how the likes of you don't understand a
common
enough saying.

But perhaps given the standard of your posts, you don't understand the
difference between an egg and eggs.

You miss the point.Â* It is the increased vulnerability of the one
basket
we are querying.

And in terms of dependency of supply, nukes can make their own fuel
up to a point. The sea is also said to contain some 4,500 tons of
Uranium.

Wrong, The sea contains 4,500 MILLION tonnes of uranium. Enough for
abput 5000 years of use at economically extractable rates.

I was aware of the numbers but missed out the 'millions'! Expensive to
extract but only 10 times the current market rates for Uranium.

There is also the consideration that more Uranium is leached out of
rocks such it would take longer than 5,000 years to deplete.

Mmm. yes and no. When we transition to a uranium economy most of that
wont get to the sea - we are likely to mine it.

I thibk the contributrion of *raw* uranium costs to electricity so
generated is about 0.1p per unit.

Since reneable electricity is not cost effective at 10p a unit, theres
plenty of room for economically viable uranium at 50 times the cost it
is now.

The ecomonics of breeders take off at a cost about 3-4 times what it is now.

Nuclear power is actually suffering from the fuel being too cheap. And
te reactors too expensive.

I note that both EPRS built in and for China are now operational whilst
their European ones - started earlier - are still mired in paperwork

--
Of what good are dead warriors? €¦ Warriors are those who desire battle
more than peace. Those who seek battle despite peace. Those who thump