Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default drills for stainless steel

Yes, what are the holes used for? If its just breaching the material, then
you could cut slots.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"nightjar" wrote in message
On 11/08/2019 14:49, brian wrote:
I need to drill 30 odd 4.5mm holes in a stainless steel pipe; I'm
drilling a small pilot hole ~ 1mm first . Usual type blunt too quickly 4
holes ! Pipe wall thickness is only 1mm and I thought I'd get away with
it.

Carbide tipped and cobalt seem to be recommended . Will tile drills do ?

I wouldn't try them.

Any experience or advice ?

Brian

I does slightly depend upon the grade of stainless steel. However, what is
usually important is that the drill is not allowed to dwell during the
feed. That quickly causes local hardening of the steel, which blunts your
drill.

Ideally, use a powered feed, having first looked up the speed and feed
speed in one of the many available charts. If you have that option, use
solid carbide drills and flood the work with lubricant.

Failing that, use a pillar drill, use a good lubricant and keep a steady
pressure on from start until break through. Trying to drill most stainless
steels with a hand held drill is simply asking for problems.

--
Colin Bignell