Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Garden shredders

On 11/08/19 11:19, Michael Chare wrote:
Anyone got any experience of electric garden shredders that can cut wood
up to 40mm diameter. Are these devices much good? There are a number
of makes any recommendations?

I've had a Screwfix Titan brand quiet shredder for a couple of years. It
uses a slowly rotating sharpened cog type of blade to cut the branch
against a stationary surface. In my experience, it's a very good
machine, very rarely jamming (which is usually my fault for not emptying
the box often enough, or trying to push too much stuff through). Even
when it has jammed, it is very easy to put the machine into reverse to
clear the jam. In that respect, it is many times better than the
fast-rotating lawnmower-type blade shredder I had before the Titan,
which jammed every couple of minutes, and required a dismantling of the
shredder to clear the jam.

The Titan will handle 40mm branches, but it isn't made any more. The
current McAllister equivalent gets poorer reviews, and although
apparently slightly more powerful, is at least 5kg lighter - so I'm not
sure where the weight has gone. Maybe it has a less reliable motor?

Anything woody larger than 40 mm I saw into 20 - 25 mm lengths, and dry
for burning on the wood-burning stove.

--

Jeff