Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew[_22_] Andrew[_22_] is offline

Default New door handles

On 06/08/2019 14:21, Brian Gaff wrote:
I don't know but I have seen square rods with a slightly smaller end on each
end, so this sort of thing has to have happened before. I had the opposite
issue on the kitchen do, ie the old knobs, made of something resembling
bakerlite fitted but the new plates with captive handles meant I needed to
saw down the spindle but then I found they were sloppy as the holes war too
big. I'm afraid I did what every good bodger would. Cut some shims of
plastic and used them to pack out the spaces on two sides., its still OK
after 20 years.
OK won't help you, but it reminded me. No I'm not taking the olive green
handle sets off to look either.
Brian

Just noticed this thread and checked mine. The square rods from the
original 1976 handles are a tight fit in new euro handles (not
from b&Q) but the main problem is the way the bars were cut
in the 1970's which leaves a burr at each end. Looks like a cold
shear cutter was used.

File off this burr and they do fit, though snugly.

The handles I bought came as a set with screws and bar, and the
new bar has been given rounded corners.