Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default To Nailshooter

On 8/9/2019 9:16 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Friday, August 9, 2019 at 8:03:37 AM UTC-4, Jack wrote:
On 8/9/2019 6:52 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
You don't need a gallon of spirits per brush. I use a method similar to this 1/8"
method. I also let the solids settle out and reuse the mineral spirits several times.
I don't know what cleaning method a pro uses, but they do use mineral spirits in
any case.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDvDbKBTbic

Same except I use a paint spinner.

https://tinyurl.com/y29mebhe

Also, I use the used thinner for initial cleaning, and pour that into a
3rd container until done cleaning so it doesn't contaminate the "clean"
used thinner. I only use new thinner for the final cleaning, normally
the 2nd or 3rd spin. I spin them into a large can or even a cardboard
box. Latex I spin outside if not too cold out, or in the basement sink.

I use the same 3 container process.

Hummm I must be doing it wrong with my 15 + year old brushes. ;~) I
only use 2 containers. I don't pour the clear off of the setteled
paint. I simply don't dip the brush that deep. Then I put a little
spirits in a clean empty can and do the final rinse. That material goes
into the first jar when done. Then soap and water to finish the job off.

I carefully pour the liquid off the top of the settling jar into my "used
thinner" jar. I pour a little of the used thinner into a clean jar for each cleaning pass. After each pass, I pour the newly-used thinner into the
storage/settling jar and then wipe out the cleaning jar so I can tell when
the brush stops releasing paint.

My good brushes are 3-4 times as old as his, and still good as new as
long as my wife doesn't get her hands on them.

Ditto

The paint spinner is a must have if you do any painting and ever re-use
your brushes.

I get by with out a spinner but wish I could find one.

If a spinner is a *must*, I just can't figure out why I have brushes that
are decades old and still work like new.

You know how the brushes get harder and stiffer near the ferrel? Paint
naturally wicks up the bristles to the handle, especially when you have
the brush pointed UP.
The spinner helps to sling the paint/cleaning agent out of that area,
much easier than slinging the brush.