Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave W[_2_] Dave W[_2_] is offline

Default How do you give directions to the fire service when you do not know what road you are on?

On Thu, 8 Aug 2019 07:34:57 +0100, Andy Burns
wrote:

newshound wrote:

[whatthreewords]

when I hit the "current location" button it
drops the pin about half a mile north of me.

This is on a desktop, with no GPS of course. OTOH Google Maps on the
same machine finds the right house.

On my laptop (similarly no GPS) the locate button pops up a permission
dialogue from the browser, if I say "yes" then W3W gets the correct
position, right down to the correct quarter of the house ... but the
laptop and my mobile are both signed-in on the same google account, and
the phone has GPS enabled (also WiFi triangulation works pretty well).

Browser location is useless for me in Surrey because I'm on BT wired
broadband, and my IP address is often in Kent.
--
Dave W