Posted to uk.d-i-y
Vir Campestris Vir Campestris is offline

Default Whaley Bridge ballast

On 08/08/2019 08:47, Jim K.. wrote:
Tim+ Wrote in message:
newshound wrote:
On 07/08/2019 21:15, Dave Liquorice wrote:
Watching those "rescue" films, I'm amazed at the "hover" of the
Sea-Kings even in obviously gusty conditions. They look just as stable
as kestrels, and even though they are massive it seems remarkable that
pilots have the reflexes to achieve this. I'd always assumed they have
some sort of inertial control system. I asked a Sea-King pilot about
this at a county show about 20 years ago and he claimed it was all
manual. But perhaps he was winding me up.

He was. They had an auto-pilot system to help with holding a hover in
difficult conditions.

So a typical "top gun ******" helo pilot then.

Their autopilot is cleverer than just set altitude. When they are
dunking anti-submarine sonar they have to hold a constant altitude
_above_ _the_ _sea_. Which is a bit interesting on a rough day!

Andy