Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Who Makes Blast Gates That Don't Get Clogged?

On Thursday, August 8, 2019 at 2:54:23 PM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
On 8/6/2019 8:28 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I have a couple of these Woodriver blast gates in my shop:

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/2-1-2-abs-blast-gate

They tend to get clogged in the back corners such that they don't close
completely. More often than I'd like I have to get out the air hose and
blast the dust out of the innards to get them to seal. Once they are clean
they work great...for a while.

Is this common with blast gates or are there better ones that don't clog?
I need 2 1/2" gates.

Thanks!

I don't use nor will I probably ever use blast gates. I do not have a
multi man shop so I only need to use my DC for ONE tool at a time. I
have a 30' long flex hose that comes directly from the DC to any of the
6 machines that use the 4" connection. The ends are flared so hood up
is instant.

My set up is just toooooo easy and efficient for me to consider
complicating with Y's or blast gates.

My set-up is far from "complicated" One Y, two blast gates, right next
to each other.

One gate is dedicated to the miter saw, the other is for basically the same
hose set as you describe. It takes nothing more than a quick push-pull to
swap the air flow.

I found that I use the miter saw so frequently for quick, one or 2 cuts,
even for non-shop related tasks, that it deserved a dedicated DC connection.
In addition, the miter saw's DC connection is on the left of the saw and
the entire rest of my shop on the right. The dedicated connection for the
miter saw is more efficient than just a single hose, even with the clogs.