Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Who Makes Blast Gates That Don't Get Clogged?

On Wednesday, August 7, 2019 at 6:30:45 PM UTC-4, Bob D wrote:
On Tuesday, August 6, 2019 at 8:28:05 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I have a couple of these Woodriver blast gates in my shop:

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/2-1-2-abs-blast-gate

They tend to get clogged in the back corners such that they don't close
completely. More often than I'd like I have to get out the air hose and
blast the dust out of the innards to get them to seal. Once they are clean
they work great...for a while.

Is this common with blast gates or are there better ones that don't clog?
I need 2 1/2" gates.

Thanks!

I use the all metal gates and do not have any problem with them not closing completely. They have been in service for years. I believe I bought them at Rockler. Mine are for 4" hose. I don't know if that makes a difference.

Bob

From my recent reading, these plastic gates are prone to clogging, especially
in systems with relatively weak air flow.

Some people modify them by clipping off the back corners so the debris is
pushed out. Yes, you lose some air flow at the open gate, but less than
when you are losing air at a gate that is supposed to be closed but isn't
due to the clog.

I'm going to try that. If it doesn't work, I may try these, although it
seems like the open slot would mean even more leakage.

https://www.amazon.com/Cleaning-Alum.../dp/B071FXL35D