Posted to uk.d-i-y
jleikppkywk jleikppkywk is offline

Default Whaley Bridge pumps...

"Tim+" wrote in message
jleikppkywk wrote:

"Tim+" wrote in message
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 21:17:49 on Tue, 6 Aug
2019,
NY remarked:

The one thing I've not seen mentioned anywhere is whether they have
been emptying the reservoir by the normal route (valves draining into
canal system) in addition to the much-publicised pumping operation. I
presume they have, but it's not (that I've seen) been mentioned.

Exactly. Have they decided not to, or has it just escaped the attention
of the civilian press?

Well it would beggar belief if they *havent* opened the normal drain
valves but I imagine that theyre not designed to empty a reservoir
quickly. After all, if you have a working spillway why would you need a
humongous drain valve?

Because spillways dont allow you to empty the reservoir.

Duh. I said €śhumongous drain valve€ť. Of course they have to have a
draining
method of some type, it just doesnt need to be humongous under normal
circumstances.

But when the dam is full or close to full, and a mega downpour
is predicted, the normal drain method wont be able to drain
it quickly enough.