Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default New door handles

If these handle sets have their own return springs and plates, one other
issue is often the space between the handle spindle and the keyhole. In two
cases I had a lot of work to do to get this sorted by installing a new
loc. However the keys for the old ones were lost so it had to be done.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 05/08/2019 18:38, Murmansk wrote:
I was asked to replace all the door handles in someone's 1970s bungalow.

They had nasty brass lever handles and had bought a load of stainless
steel lever handles from BQ.

I discovered that the square metal shafts linking the handles of the new
ones were a tiny bit bigger than the square holes in the tubular latches
on the doors and had to replace all the latches too. The shafts fitted
the new latches perfectly.

Were latches made with smaller holes in the 70s - is this some kind of
imperial V metric thing?

I have had the same experience (but have never actually measured or
investigated).