Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Whaley Bridge pumps...

On 05/08/2019 12:19, Gareth's was W7 now W10 Downstairs Computer wrote:
On 05/08/2019 10:37, Mike Clarke wrote:
On 05/08/2019 10:18, NY wrote:

I may have missed something in the earlier new reports, but why are
they having to *pump* water out of the reservoir? Is there a problem
with taking water out in the normal way? I think it's a canal feeder
reservoir. Can the canals not cope with a greater flow of water into
them than was originally intended?

Canals weren't designed to carry a significant flow of water.

With the exception of the LLangollen Canal which is a source of
drinking water for Manchester.

Then technically it is an aqueduct...

It was actually built as separate sections, eventually linked via a
different route than originally proposed and was intended as a canal. It
did supply water, but only for other parts of the canal system - and you
can argue that any canal does that, at least for it's lower sections.
After it closed and before it reopened, it was retained first for this
purpose, but also due to a later agreement to supply Mid & South East
Cheshire Water Board.

SteveW