Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Stained linoleum floor

On 8/1/2019 9:06 AM, Frank wrote:
On 8/1/2019 9:41 AM, wrote:
On Tuesday, January 20, 1998 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-5, Cliff Kaminsky wrote:
I have a white no-wax kitchen floor. The model is Mannington Aurora.
Last year I put a small mat down on the floor by the sliding glass
door.Â* A few days later when I moved the mat, there was a rectangluar
purple stain under it.Â* I removed the mat and the stain proceded to
spread and fade somewhat to its current condition as a pink half-circle
in front of the glass door.Â* My impression is that it is some kind of
algae or mold.Â* The stain seems to go deep into the linoleum; it's not
just on the surface.Â* Has anyone else experienced this problem?Â* Can
anything be done about it?Â* Thank you for any help.

-Cliff K.
Ann Arbor, Michigan

I have the same problem and would love to know what to do about it.

Dye probably migrated from the mat to the floor.Â* Bleach might take it
out but otherwise it would probably not wash off.Â* I'd dilute the bleach
and let it puddle up on the stain to give it time to work.Â* Sun might
continue to fade it away.Â* Better wash the mat before putting it down to
get out the excess dye.

I'd guess some kind of plasticizer in the mat material or rubberized
backing is reacting with the flooring.