Steve B.

Default electricity on my water pipes

On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 01:26:37 GMT, "Laurent Doiron"
wrote:

Anything likethis happen to anyone?? As I worked on my water heater, I
happened to touch the copper pipes and to my surprise I jumped!!! Not enough
to kill me but it let me know something is wrong here. Then I changed my
washer and dryer in the new room and the same thing there. I touched the
back of my washer and ZAP got me again.. Any insight on this shocking
situation anyone please?????

larry

You have two problems...

#1 There is current on the ground leg of some device in your home.
Another poster already gave you an excellent method to determine where
the power is coming from.

#2 You water pipe is no longer grounded. I'm going to guess here
(bad thing to do on usenet) and say that you have an older home. It
was at one time common practice to use the water line as a grouning
conductor. At some point in time a piece of your water pipe was
replaced with plastic so now that grounding function is no longer
there. I would, or have an electrician, install an approved ground
rod and move your ground to the new rod instead of the water pipe.

Steve B.