Posted to uk.d-i-y
charles charles is offline

Default Whaley Bridge pumps...

In article , NY wrote:
"nightjar" wrote in message
On 04/08/2019 21:13, Brian Gaff wrote:
Yes but its really low pressure and if you want to move a lot at a
time there is no benefit to using a siphon. Incidentally, where ARE
they putting all that water? Brian

You can see some of the outlet pipes emptying onto the concrete
spillway, on the opposite side from the failure. Other pictures seem
to show more outlets running straight into a waterway.

I may have missed something in the earlier new reports, but why are they
having to *pump* water out of the reservoir? Is there a problem with
taking water out in the normal way? I think it's a canal feeder
reservoir. Can the canals not cope with a greater flow of water into
them than was originally intended? Are the water courses that the pumps
drain into separate from the canal network - is the canal not also fed
from them and the spillway?

How do you remove surplus water from the canal without opening the locks -
which are specifically designed to stop that happening. The relevant canal
appears to run through Whalley Bridge and is presumably fed by a pipe under
gravity.

I don't understand about blocking the streams that feed into the
reservoir? Won't water just build up behind the temporary "dams" that
the Chinooks are making, causing them to burst catastrophically at some
stage in the future?

I suspect the story about blocking the inputs was wrong. The bags of
ballast are being used to re-inforce tehdam.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England