jim

Default Rusted mower deck, Need ideas on repair

Al Kondo wrote:

I have a 5 year old mower that I purchased from K Mart. It has a B &
S engine that still runs great. The problem is that a part of the
deck has rusted through. It is about a 9" portion of the "well" of
the deck. I feel that it can easily function with a little support
and patching. Out of curiosity, I called the company and found out
that a replacement deck would cost $125. I believe I paid about $200
for the mower.

As a handy guy, I would like some ideas on how to go about patching
the rusted portion of the deck. I would like to know what I should
use to patch it and where I can get it from I plan to use rivets
or screws to attach the metal patch.

Al Kondo

on those K-mart type mowers the deck is the first thing to go.. they
built on a cheap sheet metal deck.. either buy a snapper or toro and go
for a professional deck and when the engine burns out you just buy a new
motor for it and you are all set to go.....
on my toro's mower it has alum. decks on them so i dont have that
problem with rust...