calhoun

Default Asphalt Driveway

I don't know the before thickness but a minimum compacted should be 3". This
could be done in one "lift". Thicker than this should be done in 2 "lifts".
This is what a long time paver told me. I drive a heavy truck and needed a
4" pave. 2 - 2" compacted lifts is stronger than 1 - 4". I guess it can be
compacted tighter if it is thinner. More important, however, if the base
under the asphalt. I had 4" -6" of compacted base (I believe it was called
crusher run, item 4) under the first lift. This is upstate NY with a clay
soil.

"PHroGman" wrote in message
et...
What should the thickness be of a residential Asphalt (Blacktop) driveway
(before compacted)?
Live in the Northeast.

TIA