Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian Jackson[_9_] Ian Jackson[_9_] is offline

Default highway code

In message , Jim GM4DHJ ...
writes
On 02/08/2019 17:27, T i m wrote:
On Fri, 2 Aug 2019 14:14:16 +0100, (Roger Hayter)
wrote:

Harry wrote:

laid this down on his screen :
Zip at point of closure is dangerous to the point of stupid unless at a
crawl, that's why people don't do it. It might appear to maximise traffic
flow, but since this zipping process does not operate perfectly, if you're
not crawling it results in collisions.

Those self important, unco-operative types, who race down the empty
lane, cause the collisions.

The uncooperative types are the ones who merge too soon, then worry
about others gaining an advantage over them.

Only uncooperative to your interpretation of the rules?
If they merge when or soon after the first warning tells them, THEY
are doing the right thing.

Those in the full lane, will be distracted
spending lots of time watching their mirrors for those trying to beat
the queue, trying to prevent them pushing in.

With sensible, responsible people they will spend no time at all trying
to prevent anyone else from doing anything. Just driving safely and
cooperating with other drivers.

Except 'welcome to the real world'. ;-(
Once you have spent any journeys effectively going backwards because
some selfish cnuts thinks it's 'perfectly ok' to push in front of you,
you will soon get the idea. I have seen people driving off a motorway
in a hold up and straight back down onto it again (and forcing their
way in), meaning I go backwards another cars length. Try that in a
Cinema or McDonalds queue and see how far you get.

With an orderly zip, you
can relax concentrate on what is happening ahead and relax.

A steady speed merge can work perfectly. The merge point should should
move back as speed increases and move nearer the obstruction as speed
falls. All it needs for a steady flow, is each to position themselves
alongside a gap in the adjacent lane, then gradually move into the gap.

Unless there is a queue the whole problem will not arise,

Except when people under / overtake those happily merging to then
try
to increase the restriction throughput to Max+1 and then it all
starts to snarl up.

as there will
be no slow traffic for people conscientiously trying to use both lanes
to overtake.

Because in many cases those still trying to under / overtake right
up
to the restriction will *also* be speeding. If I have dropped back
from 70 to 50 because it tells me there is a lane closed ahead, no one
should be able to under/overtake me?

Or those going slightly more slowly if there is no queue
will respect the right of others to drive faster and overtake, without
any dog in the manger attitudes.

See above. Ignoring 'mimzers' which we all hate, 'most people' will
be
still going at whatever the speed limit is for that restriction. It's
those who don't obey the limits, or the HC, or how to behave on the
public highway (cinema queue) who are causing all the trouble.
Just as those who don't 'get on with it' at lights / junctions that
are known to only give you a few seconds or people turning right from
a straight on only lane who then pull into the space you would have
occupied, had they not sped / undertaken you to get there.
It's all fair in love and war, till you get the ticket for causing
an
obstruction / stopping on a yellow box etc.
I have no issue with those simply making a mistake, I've done so
myself at an unknown junction where a lane is left turn only and you
have to politely sneak back in (match the speed of the existing
traffic, indicate, make eye contact, thank them etc), but that's not
what an arrogant minority are doing.

I go around a roundabout near here to skip the jam in the inside
lane...the outside lane is always clear and I have right of way

On the roads, the idea of 'Right Of Way' does not exist. NO one has
'Right Of Way'.

into the inside lane coming off the roundabout.

If you're changing lanes, you don't even have PRIORITY.

...fly or what ?

Only if you're not screwing up other traffic - otherwise try 'foolish'.

....and perfectly legal ?????

Only, if by doing so, you are not driving dangerously, or without due
care and attention.

--
Ian