blue

Default Home Depot not for Do-It-Yourself'ers?

Well this is off topic from your sink question (I hope it ends up
working out for you in the end), but I noticed you made the same error
we did installing the sink cabinet (glad we weren't alone!). We have the
same cabinets and the piece where the false drawer fronts attach to is
on backwards (black to the front, whereas the inside where no one will
ever see is maple). What's going to happen when you put your drawer
fronts on is that when the doors are opened there will be a black strip
of around 3/4" of an inch that you will see instead of maple (and also
when the doors are closed you will be able to see a black line between
the doors and drawers). Flipping that piece around, you would have then
seen maple instead of black.

This piece was deceiving though, all the other drawer fronts go black
side out, maple side in as you want the maple side to be inside the
drawers where you can see them. But, other cabinets have the drawer
fronts larger than the black piece, so you don't see any black sticking
out. Having the maple inside on this piece doesn't do you any good
(unless you plan to hang out inside the sink cabinet :-) And from what I
can tell, they didn't point out this piece was opposite to all the
others in their instructions.

Anyhoo, what we did to fix ours (since we weren't going to rip out the
cabinet) was to go by a piece of iron on maple veneer, I cut a piece
large enough to cover what would be visible of the black with the drawer
fronts on, then put the drawer fronts on, and ta da....maple when we
open the doors rather than a black strip. Even though we fixed it I
sometimes still get the urge to rip it all out and make it right. :-D

Joseph wrote:
Some photos of 'tile-in' undermount sink:

http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/alf...&.dnm=4c10.jpg

the offending holes:
http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/alf...&.dnm=475e.jpg

Thanks all for your comments. For the poster who wondered why they
sell a sink they don't have faucets for. The undermount sink is
intended to mount under the countertop. The holes are oversized for
the purpose of being able to tighten the faucet to the countertop. It
appears that the Kohler undermount sink is the same sink as the
tile-in (just with larger holes).

Now if I had just known this prior to receiving the bad sink rather
than yesterday that would have been useful. Suffice it to say that I
will check and double-check anything received from Home Depot.
Speaking of which, I have about $1500 worth of special order stuff
still on order with them. I wonder if this is of any value as
leverage (not that I had any success getting store credit towards a
portion of it). It's on a HD credit card.

- Joseph