Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nick Odell[_2_] Nick Odell[_2_] is offline

Default Computer seizure (was DIY privacy and security, the rights of theindividual against the intrusive state)

On 01/08/2019 23:23, Chris Green wrote:
newshound wrote:

Otherwise all anyone needs do is keep their dodgy stuff in the Cloud or
encrypted on a server hosted in some lawless region of the internet.

But in principle they can pick it up in transit, and even with end to
end encryption it's an offence not to disclose the key.

'I' don't know the key, it's negotiated between the two machines
between which I'm transferring data.

I'm not a big data user: all the sensitive data I own can be contained
in one memory stick. In fact all the sensitive data I own IS contained
in one, hardware encrypted, password protected ten-false-guesses-and-it
wipes-itself memory stick.

I can't possibly memorise the password so when I travel abroad, I write
it down on a piece of paper......

....and post it in advance to my destination address. It's quite safe
because the paper is useless without the memory stick and the memory
stick is useless without the piece of paper. Apart from thwarting any
bad actors and possibly annoying people at immigration control am I
doing anything illegal by being unable to divulge a password I don't know?

Incidentally, does anybody know how these ten false guesses work? If I
do five false guesses and remove the memory stick, am I back at ten
tries next time or do I still have only five? Kingston Datatraveller G3
here.

(I would answer the question experimentally myself except I'm overseas
at the moment and the last thing I want to do is accidentally wipe all
my data!!!)

Nick