gerry

Default A/C fan motor capacitors

On Sun, 21 Mar 2004 09:37:58 -0500, Thund3rstruck_N0i
wrote:

Stormin Mormon spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed
in

When I was in school, so many years ago, we learned a lot about caps,
resistors, and so on.

In the case of caps (capacitors) the voltage rating is how many volts can
the cap withstand and not short out.

Minor correction:

The voltage rating is actually when arcing would occur between the plates
of the capacitor, vaporizing any elecrolytic or insultaing material between
them...

Almost correct, this is a nit. The rating is the minimum voltage the
device is designed not damage the insulation under_design_conditions. Too
much current through the cap and it will fry independent of voltage rating

Design conditions are VITAL. A capacitor will heat due to it's ESR. Also,
is the rating for RMS or peak voltage? The reactive component of a motor
can change the voltage applied to the cap up or down as well.

Motor start and run caps _usually_ are of similar design. But it is
extremely unwise not to use one of the rating matching the original.
Stormin's proclamation that a 33V cap is interchangeable with a 370V unit
might just blow smoke.

gerry

--

Personal home page - http://gogood.com