Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default Computer seizure (was DIY privacy and security, the rights of theindividual against the intrusive state)

On 01/08/2019 12:14, The Marquis Saint Evremonde wrote:
newshound posted

Gareth's stuff above is a bit tinfoil hat to me, but my scenario seems
to me to be a real (if low probability) threat. If you keep an
off-site backup that you don't declare to the police, presumably you
are committing an offence.

No, I don't think so. You're not generally obliged to answer police
questions after arrest, and there is of course no law requiring
disclosure of all backups *before* arrest.

True but you might be interviewed under caution after a seizure. You
could of course decline to answer any questions at that stage but if you
did "fail to disclose" that might be a black mark if you were actually
guilty.

Especially if forensic investigation found a batch file of the form

Copy really dirty stuff to secret location
Delete and overwrite really dirty stuff