Posted to alt.home.repair
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default What is the difference between ground and neutral from the perspective of the wall outlet working backward to the power company?

On Thu, 01 Aug 2019 14:26:17 -0400, wrote:

On Thu, 1 Aug 2019 11:50:32 -0500, Sam E
wrote:

On 7/31/19 11:49 AM, trader_4 wrote:

[snip]

I was thinking about this again and I wonder why the manufacturers don't
just tell you that if you have a two prong receptacle, another acceptable
option is to install a GFCI receptacle? That would be a lot easier
than running a new circuit with ground.

A GFCI receptacle provides some of the same protection as ground. It
does NOT provide ground.

BTW, I never would have believed it, but some people claim a GFCI
provides ground.

What a GFCI will do is make a marginal ground effective to open the
GFCI in a fault.

More accurately, a GFCI provides protection similar to the
protection provided by a functional ground in the event of an
electrical malfunction in a device plugged into the outlet.