barry martin

Default Crab Grass Problems

Hi Greg!

G Last summer I started digging out the crab grass with a dandelion
G fork. Don't know how it's going to be this summer (the grass hasn't
G started to grow yet) but only saw a few re-growths which may have been
G missed originally. The grass also started to regrow where the crab
G grass was.
G Used this manual removal method with the dandelions also. Admittedly
G it's a continual thing as the dandelion seeds float in the wind but
G does give me a good excuse to be outside doing next-to-nothing.
G (There have been are very few dandelions in our yard since I started
G this little project ten or twelve years ago.)
G This manual method sounds like just what I need. I never did much
G like the "weed 'n feed" method of spreading herbicides over the whole
G lawn. Taking on the undesirables hand-to-leaf may take a little work,
G but most of us could use the exercise.

Not sure how much exercise there is in this method: usually on my
knees (I kneel on a foam pad). Fill a two or so quart bucket and dump
this into a lawn bag. The small bucket forces me to get up and take a
walk every so often, else tend to get a little stiff from being
hunched over!

I too am not all that thrilled with the use of herbicides. Part of it
is due to used to have a dog (RIP) and didn't want her to ingest the
poison. Also quite a bit of wildlife around here. Also that little
bit of Scottish in me kicks in: prefer to not spend the money! g

The "original plan" was to dig out the crab grass starting at the
house and go about half-way to the fence (boundary) -- guess about 30
feet. Went way beyond the halfway point: almost to the fence!

-
¯ barry.martinþATþthesafebbs.zeppole.com ®

* Available in Fine Stores Everywhere!
---
þ RoseReader 2.52á P003186
þ The Safe BBS þ Bettendorf, IA 563-359-1971
---
þ RIMEGate(tm)/RGXMod V1.13 at BBSWORLD *