Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default Switches in bathrooms, outside zone 2

On 30/07/2019 23:27, Steve Walker wrote:
On 30/07/2019 23:03, ARW wrote:
On 30/07/2019 22:00, Steve Walker wrote:
On 25/07/2019 21:03, newshound wrote:
On 25/07/2019 20:54, wrote:
On 25/07/2019 20:29, Roger Hayter wrote:

Condensation was not mentioned. Horse play was.

I wouldn't put such a switch in my own bathroom, because of the
risk of
it being operated with wet hands.Â* More likely to cause unpleasant
tingles than real danger, but it might lead to complaints.

I agree, but struggle to find a difference between wet hands in a
bathroom (outside Z2) and having wet hands when walking through the
front door and turning the light on after being caught in a downpour.

The difference is that, in the worst case, one could envisage the
inside of the switch getting damp in a bathroom either from direct
condensation or (perhaps) from condensation in a ceiling void
running down a conduit into the switch.

And you are more likely to be stood with bare, wet feet, on a wet
floor, with the water (or you) in contact with a nicely earthed
radiator pipe, in a bathroom.

And the number of deaths caused by that in the UK in 2018 were?

When the first death happens supplementary bonding will be reinstated.

It will happen.

But we don't have switches where someone is likely to be stood in such
conditions, due to the rules on their location. Surely, that is exactly
the reason that we both have those rules and why people don't normally
die of electrocution in such circumstances in the UK?

Slight drift - one of my main concerns is that with the RCD protection
that we now rely on instead of supplementary bonding is that RCDs fail.
And not only do they fail they fail unnoticed in most houses.

How many people do you know that test their RCD every 6 months?

Mind you how many people have you seen that are **** wet through, naked
but for a towel wrapped around them, walking from the kitchen through
the living room to go upstairs?. I did not ask as I was at a
https://www.ongo.co.uk/ house. It's not like I walked in unannounced,
they made me wait at the front door whilst they locked the dogs in the
downstairs toilet.

--
Adam