Posted to uk.d-i-y
JGD JGD is offline

Default Nope, Earth Isn't Cooling

On 31/07/2019 16:15, Spike wrote:

The problem you have with the 100-200 years time-scales is that if you
applied it to the LIA, one would swing between squandering a nation's
resources battling warming, or battling cooling, depending on where in
the LIA you chose as a datum.

Global temperature effects during the so-called Little Ice Age are
estimated to have been relatively small, maybe 0.5C as a maximum and
more likely significantly less than that. (Granted, in some regions like
Western Europe there were greater effects, but we're talking about
GLOBAL cooling/warming here.)

In contrast, the present warming period shows a global rise of 1C in the
past 100-150 years (with something like 0.7C in the past 40 years) and
the rise is continuing inexorably at 0.1-0.2C/decade - probably 1.5C by
2050.

So any appeal to the LIA doesn't carry much weight I'm afraid.