Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default What is the difference between ground and neutral from theperspective of the wall outlet working backward to the power company?

On Monday, July 29, 2019 at 11:53:11 AM UTC-4, trader_4 wrote:

Here is an example from a GE owner's manual:

https://products.geappliances.com/Ma...49-90576-3.pdf

CIRCUIT €“ Individual, properly polarized and grounded
15 or 20 amp circuit breaker or time-delay fuse.
POWER SUPPLY €“ 2 wire plus ground, 120 Volt, single
phase, 60 Hz, alternating current.

Outlet Receptacle €“ Properly grounded 3-prong
receptacle to be located so
the power cord is accessible
when the washer is in an
installed position. If a 2-prong
receptacle is present, it is the
owners responsibility to have
a licensed electrician replace it
with a properly grounded 3-prong
grounding type receptacle.
Washer must be electrically grounded in accordance with
local codes and ordinances, or in the absence of local
codes, with latest edition of the NATIONAL ELECTRICAL
CODE, ANSI/NFPA NO. 70 or CANADIAN ELECTRICAL
CODE, CSA C22.1. Check with a licensed electrician if you
are not sure that the washer is properly grounded.

I was thinking about this again and I wonder why the manufacturers don't
just tell you that if you have a two prong receptacle, another acceptable
option is to install a GFCI receptacle? That would be a lot easier
than running a new circuit with ground.