Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default All Done by Electricity 1968

"NY" wrote in message
"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Had any regrets with the Hues ? I havent and mine is almost all
Hue now. Not cheap but work brilliantly. I don’t have any physical
switches at all, just movement sensors and use a voice command
to tell the system to turn all the lights off when in bed. With all
of iphones, google home minis and an echo box able to control
everything and some stuff done on time of day/ sunrise and sunset.

Love it except for the price. Don’t think that I have ever paid full
price for any of it, buy the amazon discounts and get 10% off
that as well at Bunnings with their price match if you are quick
enough so they havent noticed the latest amazon discount offer yet.

Hue bulbs are certainly very good. The only problem we had with one bulb
was a mechanical one and nothing to do with the technology: one of the
little lugs that stick out from the bayonet fitting (UK uses bayonet not
Edison screw) on one bulb has come off, so the bulb doesn't lock into the
fitting on one side. I've never had it happen with any other bulb, so
maybe it's a slightly weak point on Hue bulbs - or maybe the larger
size/weight of the bulbs makes them more vulnerable if a table lamp gets
knocked over (we suspect it may have happened while some friends were
staying).

It's great to be able to turn lights on or off by switch, movement sensor
or Alexa voice control, and to be able to dim them or time them to come on
in the evening.

Philips *urgently* need to lift that 50-odd bulbs per hub restriction. Our
new house has *lots* of GU10 ceiling spotlights, fitted by the previous
owners, and in any room on a given light switch, all those need to be
changed to Hue. We are very close to the limit, and there are still two
rooms that are not yet Hue. As far as I know, the restriction is per hub,
but you can't control more than one hub from the same user account on the
app and on Alexa, so getting an extra hub isn't the solution.

That’s not correct.

It's a shame also that Hue bulbs have a minimum brightness and can't be
dimmed further (as night lights) without turning them right off.

But they are a great idea. Now Philips need to bring the price down
dramatically. Like you, we only buy them when Amazon have them on special
offer.