Posted to alt.home.repair
Hawk Hawk is offline

Default Refreezing steaks

On 7/30/2019 1:32 PM, Oren wrote:
On Mon, 29 Jul 2019 10:08:39 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 7/29/2019 6:29 AM, wrote:
I have a freezer that lost power and 6 ribeye steaks thawed. Can I refreeze them and if not why not? Thanx for a reply.

You can, but depending on how much they thawed you will loose some
quality. The first freeze caused some rupture of cells and loss of the
juices, the second can be worse.

I'd consider cooking them in the next day or two or grinding them and
make a meatloaf.

This is the best answer. Freezing the meat a second time will likely
further damage. The ice crystals will be bigger. imo

I concur. There will me some loss of quality due to moisture loss. If
the meat thawed to room temperature, there is a risk of e-coli that may
have settled.