Posted to uk.sci.weather,uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default Nope, Earth Isn't Cooling

On 30/07/2019 10:34, Spike wrote:
On 30/07/2019 01:51, Keith Harris wrote:
On Monday, 29 July 2019 22:35:50 UTC+1, Norman Lynagh wrote:

This is a worthwhile read, especially for any global warming deniers!

https://climate.nasa.gov/blog/2893/n...-isnt-cooling/

Perhaps the most worrying factor is the progressive steepening of the
Keeling Curve. That shows that more and more climate change is being
locked into the system.

Thanks for that Norman, I've been havinf a bit of a battle on twitter :-)

It's an old technique in the 'global warming' industry that's been used
before - and it's about as authoritative as 'hide the decline' was in
its day.

As the article says: "...understanding global temperature trends
requires a long-term perspective", and viewing the NASA reference in
terms of the geologic temperature record might provide a better base for
comparisons. Perhaps NASA should practice what they preach?

JAAMOI, what is the correct level for atmospheric CO2 on which we should
be spending our trillions trying to attain?

+1, although IMHO any decent scientist would not just be looking at data
back to 1800, they would be looking at 10,000 year and million year (and
longer) timescales as well.

What I find profoundly depressing is that so much of the media coverage,
which presumably comes from press releases aimed at something like the
average IQ, only ever looks at a few decades.

An advantage that many of us here have, with our ~70 year perspective,
is that we knew people in the 50's and 60's who themselves had a 70 year
perspective. So, in the cold grey damp summers around 1960, all my great
aunts and uncles would tell us how much better the summers were when
they were our age. But anecdotal evidence from a single lifetime
supports the monotonic model which, conveniently, correlates with CO2
levels.

Your final point is a good one. The way I put it is this.

Fossil fuel use has put up carbon dioxide levels

CO2 is a greenhouse gas (but we don't really know the right "curve")

We're talking about targets of 1.5 degrees (but we don't really know
what effect this will actually have).

We don't know what CO2 level will lead to 1.5 degrees

We don't know how much CO2 we need to emit to reach that level.

So the only science that is really settled is the first one and the
first part of the second.