Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default new metal roof with new gutters - disaster

On 7/23/2019 5:33 AM, slate_leeper wrote:
On Tue, 23 Jul 2019 00:38:40 +0000 (UTC), MarkK
wrote:

Hi All,

I'm out in the sticks in NW Florida. Had a new metal roof with new
seamless gutters installed on a two story.

The roof looked decent enough but the gutter was just wrong looking. I
brought it up to the "project manager" and he said it would be "fine".
Problem is -- the metal roof overhangs the gutter about 75% or more of
the width of the gutter. Water comes off the roof and 90+ percent of it
goes right over the edge of the gutter and lands on the walkway and
stairs below.

I had the same problem with the new roof and gutters the contractor
installed. I called a gutter company to check it out. They found the
roof too long, and just trimmed it back.

Note, they also found things such as missing gutter nails and improper
gutter slope. The roof may not be the entire problem.

I have an old house with small cedar gutters. I hav had problems with
cleaning gutters after my previous house was re-roofed because they
ovlapped the roofing so war over the gutters.

For this house, I wrote into the contract that the gutters had to be
open enough to allow for easy cleaning. After they put down the first
row of roofing over the gutters with less than 1" of gap to reach into
for cleaning, I brought that to their attention. They told me that's the
way they have to do it.

After I pointed out the contract item, they had to have special gutter
drip edges made to do the job properly.

So - in the future, get it in the contract.