Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

Default Half of old house suddenly without power. Causes?

On Fri, 26 Jul 2019 12:26:54 +0100, Andrew
wrote:

On 25/07/2019 12:54, MM wrote:
On Thu, 25 Jul 2019 11:40:58 +0100, Andrew
wrote:

On 25/07/2019 10:05, Robin wrote:
On 25/07/2019 07:30, MM wrote:
A relative lives in a 300-year-old house. Yesterday he called to warn
that when I visit tomorrow (Friday) it's likely that roughly half the
house will still be without power. The other, smaller, half is
unaffected.

The electrician he called has so far not been able to diagnose the
cause of the problem. The half that is out is on a separate "fuse"
box. The other half of the house is unaffected. I write "fuse" in
quotes, but I understand that it does at least have the switches, not
old-fashioned fuse-wire fuses, although the equipment seems to be very
old.

That leaves a lot of room for speculation untrammelled by facts

As already noted, pictures might help - ideally of both fuse boxes and
of where the cable comes into the house.* It might also help to know if
the supply to the house is from overhead cables.

Or even it it used to two houses, now combined but still with two
incomers, main fuses and CU's *(like my bro & SIL's house).

Yes, I did gather from speaking with my relative that the side of the
house that is unaffected has a separate consumer unit.

MM

If there are two separate incomers (?originally 2 houses) then if they
are on separate phases, be careful if they resort to running long
extension leads from the unaffected half into the 'dead' half, because
of the voltage difference.

Actually, my relative *did* run a temporary extension lead to the
kitchen fridge. The freezer in the garage was unaffected. For a pic of
the consumer unit, see he

http://www.littletyke.myzen.co.uk/sc-consumer-unit.jpg

The CU was installed in 1996. Relative will have it replaced asap.
Maybe (some of) the house wiring, too. It'll be a massive job, because
the house was originally built 300 years ago and is huge.

MM