Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default What is the difference between ground and neutral from theperspective of the wall outlet working backward to the power company?

On Monday, July 29, 2019 at 10:47:05 AM UTC-4, dpb wrote:
On 7/29/2019 5:42 AM, trader_4 wrote:

AFAIK, there never was a washing machine of that timeframe or any timeframe,
where they told you to run a separate wire between a non-existent
ground terminal in the washing machine and a cold water pipe.
He's telling you the NEC hasn't talked about grounding anything to cold
water pipes for a long time. I've never seen any washing machine that
required anything beyond the cord and plug provided.

Au contraire, good buddy!

"Way back when" they all had an external ground connection supplied with
vendor instructions to attach to electrical ground.

That began when there was 2-wire service and continued well past NEC
changes requiring 3-wire as the existing base of existing was the
majority of installed base.

Looks like code required three prong, grounded receptacles starting in 1947
for washing machines and similar wet locations.

I'm pretty sure the GE bought just a few years ago still has the
connecting point supplied with it but I'd have to go pull it out from
the wall to confirm.

--

That would be something, if it did. But even if it did, I bet there
is nothing in the install instructions that tells you to ground it to