Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wifi - Anyone Tried Mesh ?

On 29/07/2019 10:41, Brian Reay wrote:

Our house is a bit of pain Wi-fi coverage wise. I suspect it is combination
of layout (split level over 3 floors), size(especially length), and
materials. While I have got it covered by using several access points, it
means being aware of which one(s) are best in a given room. Im ok with
this but Senior Management would prefer a single system and even I would
find a seamless system more convenient.

A reasonable proportion of portable kit can be set up to connect
automatically to the strongest available signal. I don't move from room
to room very much whilst using Wifi continuously so that works for me.

I have two Wifi zones with synonym SSIDs but on different channels
connected together with a fast wired ethernet cable.

Im considering one of the MESH systems which are currently being promoted,
BT sell one, Tplink do several, and there are others. These are linked
together and provide a single Wi-fi zone for want of a better world, with
a common SSID etc, and, rather like a mobile phone system, the idea is you
are €˜handed automatically from box to box as you move around.

Im curious if anyone has tried any of the systems and can comment on
particular ones. They all work on essentially the same principle, so I
looking for comments on how well they work, problems, etc.

People who have it seem to like it. YMMV

--
Regards,
Martin Brown